Toyota Tacomas are well-regarded in the mid-size pickup segment, as evidenced by their traditionally strong resale values.
For 2009, all three of the typical pickup body styles are offered: regular cab, Access Cab (extended cab), and Double Cab (crew cab). All body types are available with a 6-foot composite bed, and the Double Cabs also offer a shorter 5-foot bed. Model offerings range from the workaday 4-cylinder 2-wheel-drive regular cab, starting at about 15,000, all the way up to the V6 4-wheel-drive Double Cab that can be optioned north of $32,000. Within that range, there's something for nearly everyone with an interest in this size pickup.
The 159-horsepower, 2.7L 4-cylinder versions are available with either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission; regular cabs are only available with the 4-cylinder. The 236-horsepower 4.0L V6 is available with either a 6-speed manual or a 5-speed automatic transmission.
After its redesign in 2005, the Tacoma got substantially larger, moving firmly into mid-sized pick-up territory. For a truck of this size, an impressive 6,500 pounds can be towed behind a properly configured and equipped V6 drivetrain.
Toyota has created over 50 model and option choices that allow buyers to configure their truck with either an on-road or off-road personality to taste. The PreRunner versions add such add-ons as raised ride height, a front skid plate and mud and snow tires to create a 4-wheel-drive look on lower-cost 2-wheel drivetrain. PreRunner versions of all body types are available. The X-Runner goes in a completely different direction, adding a more rigid and lowered suspension, 18-inch wheels with low-profile tires, a hood scoop and other styling and performance enhancements as befit a street performance machine. The X-Runner is availably only in a 2-wheel-drive V6 Access Cab version with a 6-speed manual transmission.
The main option packages carry these themes further. The SR5 package adds many of the usual cosmetic and comfort improvements, including chrome exterior accents, upgraded seat fabric, a leather steering wheel, remote keyless entry, cruise control and more. Toyota Racing Development (TRD) packages are available in both Off-Road and Sport versions. The Off-Road package takes the SR5 package and adds sport seats, off-road suspension with Bilstein shock absorbers and progressive-rate front springs, 16-inch aluminum wheels, a locking rear differential, and skid plates. The Sport package is similar, but substitutes a sport-tuned suspension, 17-inch aluminum wheels and a limited-slip differential. Both TRD packages add a 115V/400W power outlet in the bed and fog lamps.
Standard safety features on all models are anti-lock brakes with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist, dual front passenger airbags, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), a limited-slip differential, active front headrests, and roll-sensing curtain and side seat airbags.
Toyota's popular Tacoma pickup sees several small changes but no major ones for 2009. All Tacomas get slightly revised grilles and taillights, new interior front door panels, as well as an upgraded stereo system, with an MP3/CD player and XM satellite radio capability.
Tacoma Access Cabs get standard power windows and locks, plus a new rear seat with center console and storage. Access and Double Cab Tacomas add an extra set of speakers as standard, and a backup camera is available.
Across the line, standard safety equipment now includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC). A standard limited-slip differential, active front headrests, and roll-sensing curtain and side seat airbags also bolster the Tacoma's safety.
New colors include Pyrite, Barcelona Red, Timberland and Magnetic Gray.
Competition is tight in the mid-size pickup segment, and Toyota's 2009 Tacoma responds by offering impressive versatility, including the ability to configure a pickup with either on-road or off-road capability in mind. PreRunner versions add a tough 4x4 look and higher ride height to a 4x2 drivetrain, and the X-Runners pair a sport-tuned chassis with the 236-horsepower V6 engine.
Additionally, Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Off-Road and Sport packages are available on most V6 models to upgrade either trail or pavement performance.
Now with extra standard safety features like Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), a limited-slip differential, active front headrests and roll-sensing curtain and side seat airbags, there is even more to like about the 2009 Tacoma.
- 4.0L DOHC EFI 24-valve V6 VVT-i engine
- 5-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission w/(ECT-i), OD
- Automatic limited slip differential
- Rear wheel drive
- 5350# GVWR
- Front skid plate
- 1-piece frame rails w/8-cross members & fully boxed front sub-frame
- Coil-spring double-wishbone front suspension
- Rear leaf-spring suspension w/staggered outboard-mounted gas shock absorbers
- Front stabilizer bar
- Variable-assist pwr rack & pinion steering
- Pwr ventilated front disc & rear drum w/rear tandem booster brakes
- 16" styled steel wheels
- P245/75R16 mud & snow tires
- Full-size spare tire
- Front & rear mudguards
- Argent grille & surround
- Black bumpers, mirrors, door handles & overfenders
- 2-speed windshield wipers
- Fiber-reinforced sheet-molded composite bed -inc: steel outer panels, storage compartments, rail caps, removable tailgate
- Deck rail system w/(4) adjustable tie-down cleats
- (2) fixed cargo bed tie-down points
- AM/FM stereo w/CD/MP3/WMA player -inc: (6) speakers, aux audio jack, satellite radio receiver pre-wire
- Defroster-linked air conditioning
- Fabric-trimmed front bucket seats -inc: passenger fold-flat seat, active headrests, drivers adjustable lumbar support
- 60/40 split rear bench seat w/adjustable headrests, underseat storage
- Center console
- (3) front/(2) rear cup holders
- (2) bottle holders
- Full carpeting
- Tilt & telescopic steering wheel
- LED-illuminated gauges -inc: tachometer, coolant temp, fuel level, tripmeter, digital clock
- Pwr windows w/lockout feature
- Pwr door locks
- Engine immobilizer
- Rear-seat heat ducts
- Dual 12V aux pwr outlets
- Fabric door panel inserts
- Overhead console -inc: maplights, garage door opener bin, sunglasses storage
- Sun visors w/front passenger vanity mirror
- Rear bulkhead storage
- 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) w/brake assist
- Electronic braking distribution (EBD)
- Vehicle stability control
- Traction control w/off switch
- Side-door impact door beams
- Driver & front passenger advanced airbags
- Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side airbags
- Front & rear side curtain airbags
- 3-point seat belts w/emergency locking retractor (ELR) at all seating positions -inc: front seat belt pretensioners, force limiters & adjustable shoulder anchors, automatic/emergency locking retractor for front passenger & rear seat belts
- CRS tether anchors for front passenger seat & rear outboard seats
- Rear door child safety locks
- Tire pressure monitor system
- Locking/Limited Slip Differential
- Rear Wheel Drive
- Power Steering
- Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
- Steel Wheels
- Tires - Front On/Off Road
- Tires - Rear On/Off Road
- Conventional Spare Tire
- AM/FM Stereo
- CD Player
- MP3 Player
- Auxiliary Audio Input
- Cloth Seats
- Bucket Seats
- Driver Adjustable Lumbar
- Pass-Through Rear Seat
- Rear Bench Seat
- Adjustable Steering Wheel
- Power Windows
- Power Door Locks
- Engine Immobilizer
- Power Outlet
- Front Reading Lamps
- Passenger Vanity Mirror
- Brake Assist
- Traction Control
- Stability Control
- Traction Control
- Driver Air Bag
- Passenger Air Bag
- Passenger Air Bag Sensor
- Front Side Air Bag
- Front Head Air Bag
- Rear Head Air Bag
- Child Safety Locks
- Tire Pressure Monitor