All Smart models include a very economical rear-mounted 1.0L, 70-horsepower inline 3-cylinder engine with 68 pound/feet of torque. A 5-speed automated manual transmission is standard on all fortwos. There is no clutch pedal but rather a button that allows either manual gear selection--by tapping forward to go up a gear or back to go down a gear--or a fully automatic mode on the Passion trim. The powertrain is quite peppy in city driving, and is capable of interstate-speed cruising as well, with a top speed of about 90 mph.
The Passion Cabriolet offers an electric soft top that can be adjusted to any position while driving. It includes a glass heated rear-window, and the roof bars for the top can be removed and stowed in a special compartment in the tailgate.
With the Smart's extremely small size, safety is an important consideration. Four head and thorax air bags are standard across the model line, and the fortwo has an integrated "tridion" safety cell that's comparable to the roll cage on a racecar and is visible within the car. Body panels are made of a tough plastic material and can be replaced in less than an hour. What's more, electronic stability control -- not usually found on small cars -- is standard on the fortwo, along with anti-lock brakes and a hill-start assist feature that prevents it from rolling backward when starting on an uphill slope. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety awarded the Smart its highest rating of "Good" for both frontal and side impact protection.
The basic Pure model comes with 15-inch steel wheels standard, keyless entry, a 2-spoke leather steering wheel and an electric rear window defroster. Options include power steering, air-conditioning, radio, power windows and alloy wheels. The Passion includes the Pure standard and optional features; options available include panoramic glass roof, sport steering wheel with shift paddles, power heated side mirrors and CD player. The Passion Cabriolet adds an upgraded stereo with an MP3-compatible in-dash 6-CD changer, along with a manually operated canvas roof. Passion options include partial leather upholstery and additional gauges.
Developed by the renowned German tuning firm of the same name, the Brabus edition includes 15-inch alloy wheels in front and 17-inch wheels in the rear, aerodynamic side skirts, front and rear spoilers, fender flairs, halogen projector headlights, fog lights, Brabus exterior and interior badging, a stiffer and lower sport suspension, a sport-tuned exhaust system, heated leather seats and ambient lighting.
The Smart fortwo, a model that has found a loyal following among European city-dwellers, is available in the U.S. for 2009 in two different body styles, a coupe and a convertible. According to Smart, the new models feature slightly more interior space, adding that the car's two seats are now more comfortable. Door nets replace solid storage areas on the driver and passenger doors. The front fascia has been redesigned to meet new pedestrian safety regulations. Two new exterior colors are available: sporty rally red and elegant gray metallic. Light yellow and red metallic have been discontinued. Also standard is a "loose gas cap" indicator.
The 2009 Smart fortwo is built by Mercedes-Benz and comes in three different trim levels: Pure (coupe only), Passion, and the new, higher-performing Brabus limited edition. All trims have an unbelievably short total length of 106 inches. It will fit into small gaps in traffic and park with ease in even the tightest spots. Still, legroom is ample, with an extra 6 inches more than 2008 provided for the passenger seat, which also folds flat for added cargo space. Fuel economy is impressive: all models achieve a combined mileage estimate of 36 mph.
- 1.0L MPFI 12-valve I3 engine
- 5-speed manual transmission w/automatic mode
- Rear wheel drive
- Black tridion safety cell
- Front lower wishbone McPherson strut suspension w/anti-roll
- Rear DeDion axle w/coil springs
- Rack & pinion steering
- Pwr hydraulic front disc/rear drum brakes
- Tire repair kit
- 15" 9-spoke alloy wheels
- P155/60R15 front & P175/55R15 rear all-season tires
- Panorama roof w/sun screen
- Projector beam halogen headlights
- Color-keyed heated pwr mirrors
- Speed-dependent interval wiper w/wash function
- Intermittent rear wiper w/wash function
- AM/FM stereo w/CD player -inc: (2) speakers, audio input jack
- Cloth front bucket seats -inc: flat folding passenger seat, passenger backrest adjustment
- 3-spoke leather steering wheel w/paddle shifters
- Instrument cluster -inc: multifunctional display, fuel, coolant, service interval, trip mileage, clock
- Outside temp display
- Pwr windows w/one-touch lower
- Pwr central lock system w/autolock
- Remote keyless entry w/panic button
- Automatic temp control air conditioning -inc: dust/pollen filter
- Rear window defroster
- Pwr tailgate release
- 12V pwr outlet w/cover
- Coin holder
- Lockable glove box
- Storage areas -inc: door panels, beside steering wheel
- Visors w/passenger side mirror
- Dome light
- Leather shift knob
- Electric stability program w/hill assist
- Traction control system
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) w/electronic brake-force distribution
- Front full-size airbags w/seat weight detection
- Front side curtain airbags
- Front side airbags
- Seat belts w/belt tensioner, belt-force limiter
- Top tether for child restraint system
- Tire pressure control system