The 2017 GMC Sierra is offered in Regular Cab, Double Cab (extended cab) and Crew Cab models, with two different bed lengths. Among those, power is provided by a choice between V6 and V8 powertrains. The base 4.3L V6 makes 285 horsepower and 305 pound-feet of torque, while the available EcoTec3 5.3-liter V8 makes 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet. Both the 4.3L and 5.3L engines are certified to run on E85 (an 85-percent ethanol blend). Separately, at the top of the line, a 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 is positioned for those who regularly tow or haul the heaviest loads. This engine is only offered in Double Cab and Crew Cab models and makes 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque.
With the V6 or 5.3L V8, the transmission is a 6-speed automatic, while the 6.2L V8 is paired with an 8-speed automatic adapted from the Corvette. Both provide a tall cruising gear for good highway mileage (there are three axle ratios from which to choose). In addition, all three engines are aluminum-alloy, featuring variable valve timing and direct injection, as well as Active Fuel Management that allows them to run on four cylinders during light-load conditions like cruising and coasting. V6 models have fuel economy ratings of up to 18 mpg city, 24 highway with rear-wheel drive.
The combination of three cab styles and two bed lengths can cover quite a range of wheelbases, which range from 119 inches all the way up to 153 inches. Front and rear Park Assist is available -- helpful for those who use their trucks in daily urban or suburban driving.
Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning are among the active-safety features offered in the 2017 Sierra, and in both cases they might help avoid an accident from happening altogether.
Inside, the Sierra has a traditional, upright instrument panel layout, with soft-touch materials and superb attention to detail. Knobs and buttons are large enough to use with gloves on, and there are two glovebox compartments. Double Cab models include rear-hinged front doors, with enough of a back seat for most passengers, while Crew Cab models offer a full, SUV-sized backseat. Depending on the trim level, the Sierra includes up to five USB outlets, four 12-volt outlets, an SD card slot, and an AC outlet--with the available IntelliLink infotainment system wrapping in an eight-inch touchscreen for compatibility with Bluetooth calling and streaming audio features, as well as Pandora streaming audio. The latest generation of OnStar is available, as well as 4G LTE WiFi capability, which turns the Sierra into a hotspot.
Integral LED bed lighting, movable upper tie-downs, bumper-corner steps, and a damped, EZ Lift and Lower tailgate are just a few of the cargo-box innovations in the Sierra. An available spray-on bed liner helps protect it, too. Several specialty models cater to the needs of certain kinds of truck users. For instance, a Sierra All-Terrain model includes a look with less chrome, a painted grille, and serious off-road equipment such as monotube Rancho shocks, a transfer-case shield, hill descent control, front recovery hooks and an automatic locking rear differential to help in mud or snow.
Even at the base level, the Sierra includes a 40/20/40-split bench seat, power locks, cruise control, air conditioning, a tilt-adjustable steering column, and an audio system with USB ports, an SD card slot, and a 4.2-inch color display.
At the top of the lineup, the Sierra Denali offers its own unique look, as well as a "loaded" array of features and comfort items. A chrome grille, special 20-inch chrome wheels and polished stainless steel exhaust--plus body-color bumpers and special trim--set a more elegant look on the outside. Inside, the Denali gets real aluminum trim, bright door sills and upgraded trim. Meanwhile, the long list of feature upgrades for this model includes a navigation system with Intellilink, five USB ports, Bose audio, heated and cooled leather front seats, a heated steering wheel, a power-sliding rear window and front and rear park assist.
For 2017, the GMC Sierra 1500 features several minor updates. Among them is a new capless fuel filler system, along with low-speed mitigation braking as part of the Enhanced Driver Alert Package.
The 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 lineup comprises a set of pickups aimed at a wide range of uses, from personal transportation to purpose-built tow rigs, farm or ranch haulers or off-road machines. With three cab styles, two bed lengths, three engines, 2-wheel and 4-wheel-drive versions, and various trim levels from spartan to lavish, the Sierra lineup offers something for all.
Top-of-the-line Denali models remain the choice of more discerning truck shoppers, with luxurious interiors and the full set of features of a premium SUV. The Sierra is a quiet truck, thanks to a host of sound-deadening additions like triple-sealed doors and aerodynamic measures.
The Sierra's refined engines are strong yet fuel-efficient. GM boasts that models with the V6 have towing ratings of up to 7,600 pounds, which is hundreds of pounds more than a comparable Ford F-150 or Ram 1500. Also, the Sierra 1500 might have some of the lowest maintenance costs among pickups because of its 4-wheel disc brakes with Duralife rotors, which GM claims will last twice as long as conventional brake rotors.
- Trailering equipment includes trailer hitch, 7-pin and 4-pin connectors
- Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8, with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing, includes aluminum block construction (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm; more than 300 lb-ft of torque from 2000 to 5600 rpm)
- Transmission, 6-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes Cruise Grade Braking and Powertrain Grade Braking
- Rear axle, 3.08 ratio (Standard and only available on (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Not available with (RD3) 20" bright machined aluminum wheels, (NZM) 20" chrome aluminum wheels or 22" LPO wheels.)
- Pickup box
- GVWR, 7000 lbs. (3175 kg) (Regular Cab requires K15903 model and (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Crew Cab and Double Cab requires a 2WD model and (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L86) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.)
- Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
- Suspension Package
- Rear wheel drive
- Cooling, external engine oil cooler
- Cooling, auxiliary external transmission oil cooler
- Alternator, 150 amps (Not included with (PCQ) SLT eAssist Package.)
- Battery, heavy-duty 720 cold-cranking amps/80 Amp-hr, maintenance-free with rundown protection and retained accessory power
- Frame, fully-boxed, hydroformed front section
- Cargo tie downs (4), movable upper
- Steering, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, rack-and-pinion
- Brakes, 4-wheel disc with DURALIFE rotors, 4-wheel antilock
- Capless Fuel Fill
- Exhaust, aluminized stainless-steel muffler and tailpipe
- Wheels, 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm) polished aluminum
- Tires, P265/65R18 all-season, blackwall
- Wheelhouse liners, rear (Requires Crew Cab or Double Cab model.)
- Tire, spare P265/70R17 all-season, blackwall
- Tire carrier lock keyed cylinder lock that utilizes same key as ignition and door
- Bumper, front chrome lower
- Bumper, rear chrome with rear bumper corner steps
- CornerStep, rear bumper
- Moldings, bodyside, chrome
- Grille surround, chrome
- Active aero shutters, front
- Headlamps, high intensity discharge (HID) projector-beam with LED signature
- Fog lamps, thin profile LED
- Taillamps, LED with signature
- Lamps, cargo area, cab mounted with switch on center switch bank
- Mirrors, outside chrome cap, heated power-adjustable, power-folding and driver-side auto-dimming with integrated turn signal indicators and puddle lamps (includes driver's side spotter mirror)
- Mirror caps, chrome (Not available with (GAT) All Terrain Package.)
- Glass, deep-tinted
- LED Lighting, cargo box with switch on center switch bank
- Tailgate and bed rail protection caps, top
- Remote Locking Tailgate (Included and only available with (AQQ) Remote Keyless Entry.)
- Tailgate, EZ-Lift and Lower
- Door handles, chrome
- Audio system, 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen with IntelliLink, AM/FM/SiriusXM, HD Radio with USB ports, auxiliary jack, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and most phones, Pandora Internet radio and voice-activated technology for radio and phone (Upgradeable to (IO6) 8" Diagonal Color Touch audio system with Navigation and IntelliLink.)
- Radio, HD
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on nearly all 2017 GM models. Enjoy a 3-month All Access trial subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the app and online is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM. (If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. All fees and programming subject to change.)
- 6-speaker audio system
- Single-slot CD/MP3 player (On Crew Cab model replaced by (U42) rear seat DVD/Blu-Ray Entertainment Package when (U42) Entertainment Package is ordered.)
- Bluetooth for phone personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system
- Steering wheel audio controls
- Seats, front 40/20/40 leather-appointed split-bench, 3-passenger with (KA1) heated seat cushions and seat backs. Includes 10-way power driver and front passenger seat adjusters, including driver/front passenger power recline, driver/front passenger power lumbar, 2-position driver memory and adjustable outboard head restraints.
- OnStar 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot connects to the Internet at 4G LTE speeds; includes OnStar Data Trial for 3 months or 3GB (whichever comes first) (Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data. Available Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar service and data plan. Data plans provided by AT&T.)
- Seating, heated driver and front passenger Only available on Crew Cab and Double Cab models.
- Seat, rear 60/40 folding bench (folds up), 3-passenger (includes child seat top tether anchor)
- Floor covering, color-keyed carpeting
- Floor mats, color-keyed carpeted first and second row (Not available with (GAT) All Terrain Package.)
- Steering column, manual Tilt-Wheel and telescoping
- Steering wheel, leather-wrapped with audio and cruise controls
- Instrumentation, 6-gauge cluster featuring speedometer, fuel level, engine temperature, tachometer, voltage and oil pressure
- Driver Information Center, 4.2-inch diagonal color display includes driver personalization, warning messages and vehicle information
- Windows, power with driver express up and down and express down on all other windows
- Door locks, power
- Pedals, power-adjustable
- Remote Keyless Entry (Includes (A91) remote locking tailgate.)
- Remote vehicle starter system
- Universal Home Remote
- Cruise control, steering wheel-mounted
- Theft-deterrent system, unauthorized entry
- Air conditioning, dual-zone automatic climate control
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Power outlet, 110-volt AC
- Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming
- Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors
- Assist handle, front passenger on A-pillar
- OnStar Guidance Plan for 3 months, including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling) for 6 months, including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling) (Fleet orders receive a 6-month trial. Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data.) (Retail orders receive a 3-month trial. Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data.)
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with Proactive Roll Avoidance and traction control, includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist
- Daytime Running Lamps with automatic exterior lamp control
- Airbags, Dual-stage frontal airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Seat-mounted side-impact airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Head-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions; Includes front outboard Passenger Sensing System for frontal outboard passenger airbag (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Rear Vision Camera
- Teen Driver mode a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. An in-vehicle report gives you information on your teen's driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (does not apply to spare tire)