The Ford Focus is offered in 4-door sedan or 5-door hatchback forms in S, SE, Titanium, ST and RS trims--although hatchbacks aren't offered in base S form and the high-performance ST and RS are hatchback only.
The 2016 Focus offers a range engines possibilities. The smallest is a 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged "EcoBoost" engine. Owners choosing the 1.0L can expect excellent fuel economy, however power levels aren't as low as many would guess. The 1.0L engine makes a respectable 123hp and 125 lb-feet of torque. The next step up is a 2.0L direct-injection 4-cylinder engine, making 160 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque. Ford's Ti-VCT variable valve timing system helps provide stronger response through the rev range while saving fuel at other times. Ford anticipates up to 40 mpg on the highway. A 2.0L high-output turbocharged 4-cylinder engine powers the high performance Focus ST. It makes 252 hp and 270 foot-pounds of torque, ensuring strong acceleration from the Focus ST.
The new-for-2016 Focus RS features a turbocharged 2.3L 4-cylinder engine good for 350 horsepower and 350 lb-feet of torque. It's mated to a full-time all-wheel drive system and a 6-speed manual transmission as the only powertrain combination.
With a 4-wheel independent suspension--combining a semi-isolated front subframe and a control-blade multi-link rear suspension--along with 4-wheel disc brakes in all but the S and SE models, the Focus has stronger performance credentials than most small cars. The suspension is tuned to be quite firm yet has enough give to soak up heaves and potholes; Ford's electric power-steering system provides good steering weighting and responsiveness as well. In addition, a torque vectoring system, included with the standard stability control system, balances torque delivery between the front wheels for better poise out of corners.
Front seats in the Focus are supportive buckets, with even better, firmer bolstered ones provided with the Sport Package. Both the sedan and hatchback have about the same back-seat space--just ample for most adults. Cargo space is quite generous in either model, with a relatively wide trunk opening in the sedan. In either model, the back seat folds forward nearly flat.
The Focus S model is quite basic, but includes air conditioning, a tilt/telescopic steering wheel and CD sound as well as Ford's SYNC system with a 4" LCD display and Bluetooth. SE models add 16" alloy wheels, remote keyless entry, cruise control and Ford's MyKey system.
Titanium models add a limited-slip differential, fog lamps, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, proximity entry, dual-zone climate control and heated leather seats.
All Focus models but the base S come with Ford's SYNC system, which provides voice-command-based connectivity with phones and media players and can perform other actions such as reading texts. MyFord Touch is included in all Titanium models and brings a huge, colorful 8-inch touch-screen display, which can also be controlled through steering-wheel buttons. This system includes advanced voice control for climate control, entertainment and other vehicle functions, and can also turn the vehicle into a wireless hotspot with a USB-based cellular data modem. It's also packaged with an upgraded Sony sound system, as well as satellite radio and HD Radio with an iTunes tagging function. Other available features in the Focus include multi-color interior ambient lighting, push-button start and an Active Park Assist system that steers the car into a parking spot while the driver only modulates the brakes.
The Focus ST is far more aggressive than its siblings. Its standout feature is a turbocharged 2.0L engine producing 252 horsepower and 270 foot-pounds of torque. The ST's suspension has been strengthened and its unique 18-inch wheels help to greatly improve the handling of the car, while larger brakes help balance performance. The exterior is also differentiated from standard Focus models with a unique grill, body kit and rear wing, giving the Focus ST a much lower stance and more aggressive look. Available only as a hatchback and with pricing similar to the Titanium model, the Focus ST offers a bit less luxury but a lot more performance. Starting at just over $24,000, it is available at an excellent price point.
The Focus RS takes compact performance to a new level. In addition to the all-wheel drive and 350-horsepower engine, the RS also includes upgraded brakes, 19-inch wheels wearing Michelin Super Sport rubber, a driver-controllable ride control suspension, HID headlamps, a 10-speaker Sony audio system, additional gauges displaying oil pressure, and boost pressure. Outside, The RS distinguishes itself with an under-bumper intercooler, a rear wing spoiler and a dramatic lowered stance.
A fully electric-powered Focus hatch is available in certain regions. It features a 107kW electric motor with a liquid-cooled lithium ion battery good for 143 horsepower and 184 lb-feet of torque. The electric Focus does not skimp on comfort. It includes power windows and locks, remote keyless entry, proximity entry, dual-zone climate control, heated seats and Ford SYNC. The EPA estimates its range at 76 miles and a 240V fast charger can top the battery up in less than 4 hours.
New RS high performance model for 2016. It comes with a turbocharged 2.3L engine good for 350 horsepower coupled to an all-wheel drive powertrain.
The Ford Focus is a small car that offers a number of features otherwise seen in larger or more luxurious vehicles. For instance, the Focus is the first vehicle in its class to offer Active Park Assist, which can actually guide and steer the car into a parking space if the driver moderates speed with the brake. It's also the first small car to offer Ford's MyFord Touch system, which relies on a sophisticated touch-screen system and has advanced voice-command features and can even provide Wi-Fi for the car and the area surrounding.
Technology aside, the new Focus stands out from the class for its excellent handling and poise, sporty driving feel and impressive fuel economy.
- Engine: 2.0L I-4 GDI Ti-VCT Flex Fuel
- Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.82 Axle Ratio
- 590CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 12.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Short And Long Arm Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 16" Painted Aluminum Alloy
- Tires: P215/55R16
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter, Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM Single-CD/MP3-Capable -inc: 6 speakers and speed-sensitive volume control
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Radio Data System
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver (up/down, fore/aft, recline), 4-way manual passenger (fore/aft, recline) and removable adjustable headrests (2-way)
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Front Map Lights
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Integration
- SYNC Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 911 Assist, 4.2" LCD Display in Center Stack, AppLink, and 1 smart charging USB port, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and auxiliary input jack
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Analog Display
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- Air Filtration
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- 911 Assist Emergency Sos
- Rear Parking Sensors
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera