Regardless of whether buyers opt for the roomier Chevrolet Suburban and or the somewhat shorter, but more manageable Tahoe, it comes with a 5.3L V8 engine that makes 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque.
The engine is teamed to a responsive 6-speed automatic transmission, and fuel economy ratings now weigh in at 16 mpg city, 23 highway with rear-wheel drive or 15/22 mpg with 4-wheel drive, both of which are available throughout the model line. The engine features variable valve timing and direct injection, which both help provide power over a wider rev range. Included Active Fuel Management will shut down half of the cylinders to save gas during steady-speed cruising or coasting. The engine is also capable of running on flex-fuel mixes up to E85 (85 percent ethanol). Yet, when properly equipped, the Suburban can tow up to 8,500 pounds--made easier to manage thanks to the transmission's TapShift controls, dedicated Tow/Haul mode and Auto Grade Braking.
Inside, the Suburban and Tahoe continue to excel in ride quality, as the previous-generation models had, but their interiors have been upgraded and their instrument panels get a sharper, more modern and detailed look. Most versions get a new 8-inch touch-screen audio system that allows access, via a motorized faceplate, to a 'hidden' bin behind--good for stashing cameras or other small valuables. Meanwhile, Chevy says that the center console compartment is now large enough for a laptop or iPad.
All Tahoe and Suburban models continue with sturdy body-on-frame construction, although the frame has been strengthened; there's a wider track that aids stability; and additional noise-and-vibration damping measures have been added to make the cabin especially quiet. At the top LTZ level, it comes with magnetic ride control, which can 'read' the road and constantly adjusting the way that the suspension responds, softening it for bumpy, pitchy surfaces or firming it up for quick emergency maneuvers. All of these models now include precise, variable-assist electric power steering, as well as 4-wheel disc brakes with Duralife brake rotors that, GM claims, last twice as long as ordinary ones.
With up to six USB ports, as well as a 110-volt AC outlet in LT and LTZ models, there are plenty of options for plugging in the whole family's devices.
The roomier Suburban is the way to go if for three rows of seating. The second row can be specified with either a 60/40-split bench seat or with dual bucket seats. A power-folding arrangement is available. The Suburban provides considerably easier entry to the third row, thanks to wider door openings.
Versions of the Suburban and Tahoe with dual bucket seats in front get a new front-seat center air bag, which will help protect those in front in certain kinds of side impacts.
Both 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban models are offered in three trim levels: LS, LT and LTZ. Base LS models include tri-zone automatic climate control, power windows, locks and mirrors, a rear-vision camera system, Rear Park Assist sensors, and a remote, GM's OnStar concierge and convenience system (including six months of the Directions & Connections plan), and an audio system that includes HD Radio and SiriusXM satellite radio compatibility. Moving up to the LT adds Forward Collision Alert, leather upholstery, a power liftgate, a heavy-duty locking rear differential, the enhanced MyLink touch-screen connectivity and entertainment system and the potential to option up to items such as keyless entry with push-button start, full Front and Rear Park Assist, a sunroof, a navigation system and a rear-seat entertainment system with dual screens and Blu-Ray compatibility.
At the top of the lineup, the LTZ includes most of those aforementioned items as standard (except for the rear entertainment and power sunroof, which are also optional. But the LTZ gets loads of other meaningful upgrades, including heated side mirrors, upgraded trims, bigger wheels and tires, fog lamps, the Magnetic Ride Control suspension, heated and cooled front seats, and Bose Centerpoint audio. Adaptive cruise control and a power-folding second-row seat arrangement are among the few options on top LTZ models.
After a full redesign for 2015, the Tahoe and the Suburban remain mostly unchanged for 2016. Still, some additional refinement and features are offered this year. An enhanced Driver Alert Package is available that includes adjustable pedals, IntelliBeam headlamps and a Lane Keep Assist function. A heads-up display system is also new for 2016 and available on select models. New standard features include an 8-inch color touchscreen, which controls the radio and the OnStar system.
The Suburban and Tahoe are by far the best-selling models in their class, and they're tough rivals for the Ford Expedition, Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada, among others. These two Chevy models are closely related in most ways--although there's a key difference: the Suburban is 14 inches longer in wheelbase and 20 inches longer overall than the Tahoe; and that results in a significantly larger third-row seat than in the Tahoe--as well as easier access to it, and more cargo space.
Compared to rival models, the Chevy Tahoe and Suburban still stand out for their good ride quality and efficient engines, and they handle surprisingly well considering their size and mass. They're also very rugged and versatile, and can be outfitted for off-road toughness, tow ability and interior luxury as needed.
Chevrolet claims that the Suburban will be the most fuel-efficient model in the full-size SUV class, thanks to its standout combination of fuel-saving technologies like direct injection and active fuel management (cylinder deactivation). Although the profile of the Suburban and Tahoe haven't changed all that much, Chevy has managed to make significant improvements to aerodynamics. Yet chiseled sheetmetal and big, flamboyant wheels (up to 22 inches) help maintain a powerful look.
- Enhanced Driver Alert Package includes (UEU) Forward Collision Alert, Safety Alert Driver Seat, (TQ5) IntelliBeam headlamps and (UHX) Lane Keep Assist
- Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing includes aluminum block construction (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 N-m] @ 4100 rpm)
- Transmission, 6-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode
- Rear axle, 3.08 ratio (Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.)
- Suspension Package, Premium Smooth Ride (Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.)
- GVWR, 7300 lbs. (3311 kg) (Requires 4WD model.)
- Transfer case, active, single-speed, electronic Autotrac with rotary controls, does not include neutral. Cannot be dinghy towed (Requires 4WD model. Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.)
- Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
- 4-wheel drive
- Cooling, external engine oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil integral to driver side of radiator
- Cooling, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil
- Battery, 720 cold-cranking amps with 80 amp hour rating
- Alternator, 150 amps
- Trailering equipment includes trailering hitch platform, 7-wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector and 2" trailering receiver
- Suspension, front coil-over-shock with stabilizer bar
- Suspension, rear multi-link with coil springs
- Steering, power
- Wheels, 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm) aluminum with high-polished finish
- Tires, P265/65R18 all-season, blackwall
- Tire, spare P265/70R17 all-season, blackwall
- Wheel, full-size spare, 17" (43.2 cm) steel
- Tire carrier, lockable outside spare, winch-type mounted under frame at rear
- Fascia, front body-color
- Fascia, rear color-keyed ((PCK) Luxury Package and (PDA) Texas Edition Package includes trailer hitch close out.)
- Luggage rack side rails, roof-mounted
- Assist steps, Black (Deleted when (RVQ) Assist step kit, Black, LPO or (VXH) Assist step kit, Chrome, LPO are ordered.)
- Headlamps, IntelliBeam, automatic high beam on/off
- Daytime Running Lamps, with automatic exterior lamp control
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding and color keyed driver mirror includes spotter mirror
- Glass, deep-tinted
- Wipers, front intermittent, Rainsense
- Wiper, rear intermittent with washer
- Liftgate, power
- Audio system, Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 8" diagonal color touch-screen AM/FM stereo, seek-and-scan and digital clock, includes Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; voice-activated technology for radio and phone; featuring Apple CarPlay capability for compatible phone; 5 USB ports and 1 auxiliary jack
- Audio system feature, single-slot CD/MP3 player (Replaced by (U42) rear seat entertainment system when (U42) is ordered.)
- Audio system feature, Bose premium 9-speaker system with subwoofer in center console
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on nearly all 2016 GM models. Enjoy a 3-month All Access trial subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the app and online is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM. (IMPORTANT: The SiriusXM Satellite Radio trial package is not provided on vehicles that are ordered for Fleet Daily Rental ("FDR") use. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. All fees and programming subject to change.)
- Radio, HD
- Bluetooth for phone personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system
- OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot to connect to the internet at 4G LTE speeds, includes 3GB or 3 months OnStar Data Trial (whichever comes first) (Available 4G LTE Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar subscription and data plan after trial.) (Available 4G LTE Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar subscription and data plan after trial.)
- Seating, front bucket with leather-appointed seating heated seat cushions and seat backs, 10-way power driver and passenger seat includes 6-way power cushions, driver seat 2-position memory, 2-way power lumbar control and power recline
- Seat trim, leather-appointed front seats
- Seat adjuster, front passenger 6-way power
- Memory settings recalls presets for driver power seat adjuster and pedals (When (PCK) Luxury Package or (PDA) Texas Edition Package are ordered, also includes memory presets for outside rearview mirrors and power steering column.)
- Seats, second row 60/40 split-folding bench, manual
- Seat, third row manual 60/40 split-folding bench, fold flat (Not included when (PCK) Luxury Package or (PDA) Texas Edition Package are ordered.)
- Console, floor with storage area, cup holders and auxiliary jack
- Floor covering, color-keyed carpeting
- Floor mats, color-keyed carpeted first and second row, removable (Deleted when (Z71) Off-Road Package is ordered.)
- Steering column, manual tilt and telescopic
- Steering wheel, leather-wrapped
- Steering wheel controls, mounted audio and cruise controls includes Driver Information Center controls
- Display, driver instrument information enhanced, multi-color 4.2" diagonal
- Warning tones headlamp on, key-in-ignition, driver and right-front passenger safety belt unfasten and turn signal on
- Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
- Remote Keyless Entry, extended-range (Not included when (PCK) Luxury Package or (PDA) Texas Edition Package are ordered.)
- Remote vehicle start
- Windows, power, with Express-Down and Express-Up on front doors and lock out features
- Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed
- Universal Home Remote includes garage door opener, programmable
- Pedals, power-adjustable for accelerator and brake
- Climate control, tri-zone automatic with individual climate settings for driver, right-front passenger and rear passengers
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Power outlet, 110-volt
- Power outlets, 5 auxiliary, 12-volt includes outlets in the instrument panel, console, back of console, 1 in 3rd row and 1 in cargo area
- Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming
- Conversation mirror (Deleted when (UTT) Theft Protection Package is ordered.)
- Assist handles, all seats
- Lighting, interior with dome light, driver- and passenger-side door switch with delayed entry feature, cargo lights, door handle or Remote Keyless Entry-activated illuminated entry and map lights in front and second seat positions.
- Cargo management system
- Cargo net
- OnStar Basic plan for 5 years including limited RemoteLink mobile app services, Advanced Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notification (Basic Plan available for 5 years from the date of vehicle delivery, and is transferable. Does not include Emergency, Security or Navigation services.)
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc, VAC power
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with brake assist, includes traction control
- Air bags, frontal and side-impact for driver and front passenger driver inboard seat-mounted side-impact and head curtain side-impact for all rows in outboard seating positions (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Automatic Occupant Sensing System sensor indicator inflatable restraint, front passenger/child presence detector
- Safety Alert Driver Seat
- OnStar Guidance Plan for 6 months including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling) (Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services may vary by model and conditions.)
- Rear Park Assist with audible warning
- Rear Vision Camera
- Forward Collision Alert sensor indicator
- Lane Keep Assist
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for Children), for child safety seats; lower anchors and top tethers located in all second row seating positions, top tethers located in third row seating positions
- Tire Pressure Monitor System air pressure sensors in each tire with pressure display in Driver Information Center
- Theft deterrent, electrical, unauthorized entry